In Kashmir, a family’s harrowing query to infer their son’s death

Srinagar, Indian-administered Kashmir – On an scarcely moving afternoon when Indian-administered Kashmir was underneath full lockdown, Osaib Altaf Marazi, done a deadly decision.

The 17-year-old boy, who desired to transport and take selfies, left home to play cricket with his community friends on Aug 5 final year – a day New Delhi nude Kashmir of a autonomy.

He never returned.


Osaib’s physique was after fished out of a nearby Jhelum river. 

Saleema Bano, Osaib’s mother, has struggled to come to terms with her youngest son’s death. For 5 months, she has damaged down roughly each day.

“He was a pleasing boy,” she said. “Everyone asks me to continue though how can we forget my son who would be in front of my eyes each hour of a day.”

Saleema remembers a day vividly. “I told him to have lunch initial and not to go out though he insisted he will be behind soon,” she said.

Quest to get genocide certificate

That was a final time Saleema saw Osaib. The events that followed forced her family to embark on a dire query to even infer his genocide and find a genocide certificate.

After 4 months of denial, Kashmiri military finally certified that Osaib’s genocide had been a initial in a arise of a retraction of Article 370 of a structure that had postulated special standing to a Muslim-majority region.

On Aug 5, roads opposite Kashmir were blocked and checkpoints, manned by Indian paramilitary troopers, were set up. A moving atmosphere descended on a segment as phone networks, internet services and TV channels were blocked.

The crackdown seemed designed to forestall Kashmiris from protesting opposite New Delhi’s preference to throw Kashmir’s singular autonomy.

The Marazi family mourned Osaib’s genocide as Kashmir endured a longest internet shutdown imposed by a democracy.

Suhail Ahmad Marazi, Osaib’s comparison brother, was not home on Aug 5. He after collected declare accounts of what happened to his hermit in a moments before his death.

Witness accounts

Osaib had been with his friends and together they walked a brief stretch from his home in Palpora encampment on a hinterland of Srinagar, a categorical city in a region, when they found themselves surrounded by paramilitary forces.

“They were 10 boys. As they reached a center of a footbridge they saw CRPF [Central Reserve Police Force] crew using after them from both a sides. They were frightened and jumped into a river,” Suhail told Al Jazeera.

Osaib did not know how to swim.

“The other boys who were benefaction during a mark told us that Osaib hold to a corner of a overpass for [a] few seconds before a armed organisation strike him with a hang on his conduct and hands and he slipped into [the] waters. It was a murder,” he said.

At home, Saleema was doing chores when boys from a community came using and knocked during her window.

“They pronounced Osaib had been martyred,” Saleema recalled, overcome by emotion. 

“I wait for him each day and call his name each time when we offer a dinner. He was fearful to nap alone,” she said. “I only can't forget his face for a second.”

Osaib’s physique was handed over to a family for funeral though a sanatorium refused to emanate a genocide certificate. Officials at Shri Maharaja Hari Singh hospital in Srinagar asked a Marazi family for a First Information Report (FIR), a military complaint, to plead Osaib’s death.

It was a start of a months-long conflict to secure a genocide certificate.

“From a hospital, we went to one military hire and afterwards another and both pronounced that they will not be means to register a FIR as a area does not come underneath their jurisdiction,” Suhail said. “It was a infirm situation.”

Detention of minors

In September, after dual child rights activists, Enakshi Ganguly and Shanta Sinha, filed a petition in India’s Supreme Court to examine cases of rights violations involving children in Kashmir, a probity tasked a youthful probity cabinet with questioning cases involving minors who were being incarcerated in a region.

In a midst of their onslaught to infer Osaib’s death, his family was repelled by a created acquiescence by military to a youthful probity cabinet revelation that they had incarcerated 144 minors.

But a military dubbed Osaib’s genocide “baseless”.

“Osaib Altaf, a occurrence as reported has been found to be groundless as no such genocide has been reported to a military authorities as per corroboration news perceived from a margin formations,” the military news said.

The family afterwards approached a reduce court to request the FIR.

“We approached a probity since how can they repudiate a child’s death? It is really harmful for us that we struggled to infer that he died,” Suhail Marazi, said. “While we were anguish during home, each week we had to go to a probity as well.”

Last month, a military finally submitted a news to a probity revelation Osaib’s genocide by drowning.

“It is prayed that on 05-08-2019, a defunct Osaib Marazi aged about 24 years allegedly drowned in stream Jhelum,” pronounced a standing news submitted by a Parimpora military hire to a court.

Osaib’s propagandize annals uncover he was 17, not “about 24” as a military claimed. He was a class 12 tyro during a internal school.

“No one gets probity here and we do not wish for it either. But we wish that we should be supposing a genocide certificate,” pronounced Suhail, adding that they will continue to quarrel for a certificate.

“Our neighbour Danish was killed a same approach in 2016, and even they did not get any justice. They [the police] have found a new approach to kill children in Kashmir.”

Authorities in Kashmir, who now come directly underneath India’s interior ministry, have denied any killings took place in a arise of a Aug 5 decision. But internal tellurian rights organisation Jammu and Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society (JKCCS) said, in a 2019 tellurian rights review, that 6 civilians had been killed by a Indian armed forces.

The list enclosed 17-year-old Asrar Firdous Khan from Soura, Srinagar, who was personification cricket with his friends on Aug 6 when soldiers shot him in a conduct several times with pellets, according to his family.

Asrar’s medical annals showed his genocide occurred due to particle injuries to his skull, though a military refuted that, observant he was killed when a mill was thrown during him. The military did not mention who threw a stone.

While Osaib’s family continues to onslaught for confirmation of his death, Saleema struggles with her pain and longing.

“I wish to rip my heart open to find my son. It seems a light of my eyes has left away.”

Leave a Reply